Thursday, November 4, 2010

What am I actually doing in Israel??

Awesomely bright building next door
As you may know, I'm in Israel on a program called Career Israel, which means that I have an internship working for a medical device company. I live in Tel Aviv and I work in Caesarea, which is a 40 minute train ride from Tel Aviv. Medical Electronics, or MES, is located in the Caesarea Industrial Park, which is a beautiful office complex with palm trees and beautiful sunsets.

My office!
Lab Competition
MES is a small company, so everyone is really close and everyone's really nice. A few people even take turns cooking lunch for their group of 4-5 people, and their lunches are always delicious-looking and smelling. I get made fun of for bringing a sandwich and pretzels for lunch, since lunch is kind of a big deal in Israel. And, there's always dessert that they force me to help eat.

What's my job? Solidworks, mostly. My first project was to update and organize the production files of one of the devices. I updated the engineering drawings and made some new parts and drawings for pieces that were not on file.

Sunset in Caesarea
This week, I was assigned an independent design project! I have to come up with a device to clean a small sensor nuzzled inside the device without taking the device apart. This way, customers can clean it themselves. It's like having my own senior design project... brainstorming, proposed solutions, feasibility, market analysis, prototyping, and back and forth until the final prototype. I've been hitting the drawing board pretty hard this week, so hopefully next week I can present some decent ideas.

Overall, my internship has been a great experience so far, in work experience and meeting Israelis. Caesarea is a beautiful area to work in, very quiet and peaceful. Not quite as hot as Tel Aviv, either, so I may soon need a sweater that can zip up for the end of the day! It's perfect fall weather right now!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful. A nice mix of challenging work, meeting new people and experiencing a different cultural. Love you, Aunt Lynda

    ReplyDelete